..and we are off – probably!

Scoresby Sund Expedition 2022

Days 59. 9th August 2022

Position: Raufarhofn, North Iceland

Weather: Overcast and raining

It is our strong intention to sail this evening. We hope to catch the slack water at Langanes at 04:00 on Wednesday morning just before a strong gale is forecast. I’ve had a very helpful phone chat with John who has a plethora of weather apps. It is a fairly close call, but we could be stuck here for a while if we don’t grab the moment – not that there is anything wrong with Raufarhofn. Once we turn the corner around the headland it is hard to say what will happen but it looks like F6 SW for a few days. Sea conditions could be fairly high after such a long blow so I don’t think there will be much fancy eating going on. The idea is to head direct to Stornoway or Ullapool but to be honest we could end up almost anywhere. If the sea conditions are really bad then we may stop at Seydisfordur but we really hope to make a break for it.

I will try to update things via sat phone while we are at sea but in severe conditions that may not be possible. We should arrive in Scotland next Tuesday if all goes well.


5 responses to “..and we are off – probably!”

  1. Go Well Alasdair & Ray.
    Thinking of you.
    Jo & Co

  2. Safe journey home Alasdair

  3. Safe sailing Alistair

  4. A warm welcome awaits in Ullapool, if you landfall there! Wishing you all the best for the sail back!

    1. Ullapool always has a fantastic welcome but Stornoway has the airport for Ray to escape! Might sail over later in the week if the weather is suitable. Just moored up!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.