11th April 2022 – Dunstaffnage
I’ve arrived at the boat ready for a month’s solid work to get her expedition ready for the big Greenland trip. It was 20:00 by the time I got here after a very pleasant stop over at Ray and Jackie’s farmhouse in Yorkshire. I managed to find just enough space in the campervan amongst all the “stuff” to sit down and break open a beer before going to sleep.
In the morning I rolled back the boat’s cover and lent my ladder against the pushpit ready to load on the mainsail. Then I thought:
“Should I climb the ladder and dump the sail in the cockpit and then find a tie for the ladder, or put the sail down, find a tie, then climb the ladder?”
I confess to taking a slightly longer pause than I should have before deciding to tie off the ladder first. It occurred to me that falling off the ladder and breaking an arm would probably stymy the whole trip, so for the sake of the expedition, I went safety first. I also decided not to work myself into the ground and to look after myself, as well as the good ship.
Today I really just wanted to get myself set up with power, water, and clear some space in the campervan but I actually ticked off a couple of jobs too.
The new Fynspray sink pump cost a complete fortune but looks nice. This is Last Chance Saloon for nice looking pumps. If this one plays up, then I will buy the very ugly white plastic Whale flipper pump in the knowledge that they actually work and stuff the aesthetics. The varnished raised block I made almost fitted to my amazement, but it did need a wee chamfer which meant it also needed a bit more primer. It is all bedded down on Sikaflex and plumbed in and pumping reasonably well. Let’s see if it stands the test of time. I hope having a working pump doesn’t result in us running out of water!
I fitted my new GPS enabled EPIRB which had to be relocated due to a new design of catch which only became apparent after I had already fitted it in the old location.
I couldn’t resist trying my new scramble net. It is a bit too long but I’ll try it in the water before changing it.
Then I decided to drain off some diesel from the tank and check it for clarity. I’ve had an irritating little diesel leak and was very pleased to see that last years nipping up of the tap fitting on the tank seems to have solved it. This inspired me to look at the fuel, so I connected a hose to the outlet and filled a couple of jam jars. It was nice and clear so hopefully the Marine 16 conditioner has kept the dreaded bug at bay.
I finished the day with a stroll to the Dunbeg Stores for provisions and then had a warming shower. It will be an early night tonight, then I’ll prep all the below waterline areas tomorrow.