N60,50.48 x W005,09.32. Wind NNE F3-4. Sunny!
The wind built up to force 5 yesterday with a lumpy sea. We ended up with two reefs and a reefed yankee
still making 6 knots. We have been banking a lot of east as the wind is forecast
to change to a northerly but fingers crossed it hasn’t backed yet. Curry supper
was delayed until 03:00 so breakfast will become brunch at about 11:00. Peter and
Sarah are snugged up in bed (no Mara, not together) having a well earned
Currently we are making 5 kn with all sails and have 78 nm to go before
reaching Torshavn approach. There is a viscous whirlpool to the south of the
Faroes called Monks Rock and we are on spring tides and are keen not to get
swept towards it.
(Sent by email via Satellite Phone. Received at 10.22 on 18/16/2011. Posted by Gerry)